Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Two are better than one

After a brief conversation about How I Met Your Mother last night, I was just wondering what is it about these kinda shows that i like (you know, the sorts with the same jokes - though the novelty is never lost on me thank you very much - and the same storylines)

And then I realise why I love such shows is because of its portrayal of friendship. Yes - not love in the form of BGRs, but another kind of love.

"The love I am referring to is the love you have for a best friend. It’s
unique and so important to have. It’s more than just affection for someone; it’s a deep underlying connection. The
comfort of knowing you can tell them everything, and not have worry about being
judged. The first person you tell when something exciting happens, or when
something scary happens. The person you turn to when you need to vent. The
person you can laugh at because they will just laugh back at you. The person you
need to tell things to so your brain doesn’t explode. The person who can make
you feel better when you’re having a tough day, the one you turn to for advice.
. The person you can have full conversations with by merely exchanging
glances."

-Le Love Image



Friendship is important. It's really what keeps us going. How many times have you sat in front of your best friend and poured your heart out without inhibitions. How many times have you sat with your best mate checking out the chick at the next table? The little things, the big things - they are so precious.

I openly proclaim my love for my friends (not all the time). Sure, that might be creepy but Love is creepy. And I reckon underlying that whole 'thug love' thingy, is really something romantic. Not in a I-want-to-kiss-you way, but similar, like I-want-to-hang-out-with-you-talk-on-the-phone-for-hours-read-our-old letters-to-each-other sort of way.

And I Love it. I love the idea of love, I love to love. Love is something all of us can be generous about - what do we have to lose?


1st Samuel 18: 1

After David had finished talking with Saul, Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself.


It's being one in spirit with someone. The NKJV version puts it even more nicely: "the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as his own soul."


Love. Friendship. Intertwined, one cannot do without another.

Also, choose your friends wisely. You don't need to have many companions, the Bible says it will cause you to stumble. Instead, cherrypick and carefully select friends that will stick with you through thick and thin, friends that will correct and encourage, not lead you to adversity and discourage. People don't understand how much influence a friend can have over you. The thing is, there is peer pressure, and very seldom can one not give in to it. So choose the right 'pressure' for yourself.



"Better is open rebuke
Than love that is concealed.
Faithful are the wounds of a friend,
But deceitful are the kisses of an enemy."

Proverbs 27:5-6

Jesus saw his disciples as friends too, and defined the true meaning of friendship.


"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends..." (John 15:12-15)

I love you guys - you know who you are in particular x

1 comment:

e said...

similar to what i have been writing. good stuff :) hope ur well..let me know when ur free to hang! :)