Sunday, May 24, 2009

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

Sometimes at 5am in the morning and I can't get to sleep for some reason (to which I myself have no clue as to why), this thought always runs through my mind at least once:


Why did I come to australia?


It's just this reccuring thought, really. Because staying in Singapore would've been heaps easier. I would probably be in poly now or, who knows, maybe a JC (also) studying my butt out for the A'lvls. Why on earth did I want to come to Australia? If you knew me, you'd have known that I was quite adamant of coming over - that staying in Singapore was really at the bottom of my list.


And it's weird - cos I know I could've excelled in Singapore. I did fine for O'lvls (to all who think I came over because i failed O'lvls/couldn't get into a respectable institution TAKE THAT! HYAAAAA!)(Ask my mommy if you don't believe)( :D ) and all my friends weren't leaving the motherland anytime soon. It was homeground for us all, and really, none of my friends have actually considered leaving.

So why did I?


If you ask me now, I would answer, as I have in the last year or so, with an honest "I Have No Idea, ". Zero. None. Zilch.

Because truth is, I'm still finding out why.

God's been revealing his plans little by little and everyday I'm learning. Everyday - everytime I wonder why I'm here & not back in my cockroach-free, non-ah-ma-smelling room - I realise that it's really just All Part Of God's Plan.

And that's the beauty of it all, I guess. I don't know where I'm going. I don't know what's going to happen in a decade, in a year, tomorrow. Everything's so unpredictable. And I love it. What fun would it be if I could fastforward my life (despite whatever I say)


Coming to Australia was a big decision. It was pretty rash, but it's definitely one I'll never regret. I've come to love Sydney and all the weird things that come along with it - the accents, the people, the culture, the lifestyle, the fast-yet-slow pace. It's fantastic.

I think the biggest plus point of leaving my family at 16 was really having no one around to really physically depend on. Because then that meant that I had to depend on God. And in some ways it was like I was forced to - but now, I'm just so thankful. Because I have learnt so much and been so independent on one hand, and so dependent on God on the other. My relationship with God is the biggest change thus far. The biggest and the best (:

But who's to say that's all I have? God has blessed me with so much more - so much so I take it for granted sometimes until it's 5am in the morning and I'm your friendly neighbourhood insomniac.
Family - you never know how good your life is until you're away from them. Sure, they might get on your nerves sometimes and publicly humiliate you with their 1960s antics, but they love you. And deep down, you know you love them. I know I do - more than I thought I did. And this surprises me sometimes
Friends - I have an awesome bunch of friends back home. We've known each other all through high school & for the churchies, well almost all my life. But my friends here are fantabulous too. And you cannot ask me to compare them, which is what some people do. Because 1)I'm placed in different contexts when i've met them all & 2)I'm at different stages of your life, thus, different needs, different wants etc


I really am not particularly sure where this blog post is going, but hey! It's a blog post! Surely you can't be expecting more(:

God Bless xx

3 comments:

Stick said...

Indeed. We have no idea where this post is going. : /

stageoflife said...

I came across you blog today and enjoyed it. I'm looking for writers interested in sharing wisdom, thoughts and experiences from their stage of life. Please reach out to me if you're interested.

Eric

--
Eric Thiegs
CEO/Founder
Stage of Life.com
www.stageoflife.com

e said...

oh is this the one ur talking about - the one looking for writers..;p

and u know what, all i know is God is preparing you for something you would nvr have dreamed of or imagined.

u are gona be great. i think i'm prophesying.